Forum home Talkback

damage to grass

I know we certainly haven't had it bad compared to some people, but a large section of our lawn has been under water for nearly a month now. 

What damage will this do to the moss / grass that is there ? Will there be any lasting damage once it does dry out.  (we are on sand, so goes to show I think we are not far off level with the water table image

Is there anything I should do once the water does disappear ?

Thanks in advance for any help

• I wonder if you could aerate the lawn once the surface water has gone with a fork? This should help it drain the rest of the water. I hope it clears away soon for you. Maybe take a picture of it once the water goes and pop it on here. I am sure someone will be able to help more.  good luck

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I am in the same situation but we are on clay so must wait until it is fully drained before even considering walking on it.  When you can, aerate with a hollow tine aerator if possible and sweep sharp sand into the holes, garden fork if you done have the hollow tine one and 'waggle' about.  Also scarify the appropriate times of year so thatch doesn't build up making drainage worse.  If you just keep up with proper lawn maintenance this will improve drainage and the overall strength of the root system and the problem should be lessened next time.  This is what I do on our lawn anyway.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

thank you.  I was planning on trying to get the moss under control this year, so just need this rain to stop.  Am fairly new to gardening and love it, lots of time spent starring out the window dreaming of those summer days image