Rhodo vs Azalea

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 758

Apologies, I'm sure there is an easy answer to this, but what is the difference between a rhododendron and an azalea ?  I thought it was if they had small leaves - azalea big leaves then a rhodo, but now completely confused.  Any answers ? 

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...very interesting Edd and thank you for that.... what I find is that people are still using the old nomenclature, including Garden Centre's... I don't often see the Azalea referred to as Rhododendron.... I grow several of both and there's no way I'm going to call my Azalea 'Mother's Day'... Rhododendron 'Muder Dag'... either...

...to me, Azalea's have a distinct enough shape and growth habit, for me to continue to separate them out... we don't always have to go by what officialdom would like us to....

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

I never knew that either but often wondered!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,839

Thanks Edd - that is really helpful image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,839

Mike, do you remember the tv programme Geoffrey Smith's World of Flowers where he took us all over the world to find the origins of our garden plants - he was such an interesting man. 

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Mmm could be entirely wrong - but thought Rhododendrons and Azaleas had been reclassified by the powers-that-be in the world of horticulture and now appear under the Rhododendron umbrella.  Hope I am not talking complete nonsense here, all clarifications welcomed

By the way, talking of such things, I wonder if anyone has been to the Himalayan Garden, Grewelthorpe, Masham, N. Yorks.  A small garden in progress with lakes only open to the public for about 6 weeks in spring, difficult to get the timing for blooms right but well worth a visit if in the area. 

• Hi Mike, your clarification on Rhododendrons/Azales was most useful, thanks