I need alot of help with three huge raised stone flower beds.

I have recently bought a house with a huge garden and three large stone flower beds.  One of the beds is ten foot wide and the other twenty foot wide. We are not huge gardeners and we would like something that is minimum work as we are in our twenties and because of work we do not have the time. We want to put down stones and plastic to keep weeding to a minimum and plants that need very little work.  What we cannot decide on is what plants? and what way to arrange them.  I think something higher in middle and lower plants around the edge would look best . however my partner thinks higher plants would look better at back.

I would just like any help you could give me on weeds, plants or arrangements as we know very little about gardening.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

Hi terri image

To give us a better idea of your options, could you post some pics of the flower beds on here - to post pictures click on the little tree icon in the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions image

It would also be good to know which way the garden faces.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

do give us some photos terri. It sounds an interesting project but the question as it stands is too much for my brain to deal withimage

Nut, I'm wondering if there's scope for a formal alpine scree bed - wouldn't that look good image 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,945

That sounds lovely Dove and fits the bill for low maintenance for both plants and weeding.

I think we have some alpine fans on here - not something I know a lot about but I like the look of them image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

I'm wondering how high these raised beds are.

Not sure if alpine scree is low maintenance, but again, no experience of them. Might be a bit difficult for beginners. I'd be looking for plant and ignore til I had more time

Photo time Terriimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,936

With the width of those borders, i think you might be looking at small trees as the centre piece and then maybe some shrubs around the outside.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..if these beds are what is termed 'Island Beds'..i.e. you can walk all around them.. then you plant the largest plant in the centre, with lower growers cascading outwards around it, to the edge of the border.... if the beds are backed by a fence, then you would put the largest plants at the back... I normally plant about a foot away from the fence...not right against it...

...an idea of which part of the country you live in would help, but one could have a lot of fun with these...if your interest should develop over time...

• patty3patty3 Posts: 129

if you want little work  plant hardy geraniums you can search them on here.

they come in range of colours, and  cover the ground very quickly. flowering times from spring through  summer.

you could plant small shrubs in holes cut in the membrane you want to use in the large bed, and cover with gravel or tree bark.  very little work  when done!