Spring is getting closer.

I was doing some pruning today and noticed tiny green shoots on the cotoneaster and the buds on the honeysuckle are swelling and look ready to burst.  A thrush was singing it's heart out as well and I had to stop to listen to it - lovely.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,590

You're right Forester, we had our coffee break outside in the sun today.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,389

Yes, despite the fact the garden was frozen most of the day, the birds were very active, there were buds appearing and green shoots pushing up through the soil. 

My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I
    Got out of bed at all
    The morning rain clouds up my window
    And I can't see at all
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,771

The birds here are collecting moss for nests.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,493

Forester2...........lucky you.............thrushes seem to be few and far between these days....I'd love to see one in my garden.............they do seem noticeable in their absence in many areasimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 50,690
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

You're right Forester, we had our coffee break outside in the sun today.

Sun Nut???? We've had nothing but torrential downpours image

But the blue tits are definitely looking at the nest boxes image

'There's a flower that shall be mine, 'tis the little celandine.' W Wordsworth

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Philippa - Yes, that is why I stopped to listen to it singing.  I have seen a couple around lately but they are very rare around here.  And of course there wasn't one around when I did the RSPB annual bird watch!

Yes Dove, sun. image 

We've had a lovely day. Not a hint of rain til after 4pm and then not much. Rain does tend to miss us, great now but a bit frustrating in summer when we need some.

• Me too, lovely day with warm sunshine until after 3pm. The crocuses and Eranthis opened fully for the first time.Got stuff planted, shrubs pruned, cut back brambles - great gardening day!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 50,690

'There's a flower that shall be mine, 'tis the little celandine.' W Wordsworth

Sorry Dove

We've been out all day pruning/borderline tree surgery. Got a pile of stuff to shred that's taller than me and a great heap of logs. Does laurel burn well?