Wood based cat litter

I have an indoor/outdoor cat. She uses a litter tray and I use to wood based cat litter that is a natural product. Can I use this for anything in the garden, I am also going to start composting. Could it be used in this.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,197

We add ours to the compost after first removing the poos.  It breaks down very well and helps to balance the nitrogen content from grass clippings.

The Vendée, France
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Its a funny thing, but it is unusual to use carnivore poo in the compost and garden.  Herbivore seems to be fine though.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,868

I would never use carnivore poo (or even the litter) in compost - carnivore poo contains a high level of pathogens and bacteria, most notably toxoplasmosis which can cause severe damage to the foetus in pregnancy - I have worked with children affected in this way.

Although I am well past the age where this would affect me personally, and I do try not to get too het up about neighbours' cats in my garden, I would never intentionally add this sort of dangerous contaminant to my compost. 

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Hi, I use a mix of wood shavings and wood pellets in my letter trays, if I remove the poop, can i put the wet litter  into my compost bin and would it be ok to use on a veg patch after maybe 18 months - 2 years