Forum home The potting shed

bonfires

I have found that the incinerator burning of waste veggy materiel oop t'lotty is missing a chance to improve patches of open areas waiting to be cultivated. I burn old cane prunings, knackered bamboo canes, hedge trimmings, all sorts of stuff, too hard to compost, and make a neat pile in an open patch. Leave it for a week or so, then with a scrap of old newspaper, burn it and then rake the ashes around that  area. It provides pest control where the fire was, potash to spread around, cooks the slugs and pests directly under and Roberts yer Uncle ! AND you get the fun of a good bllaze as well, to satisfy the primitive side of you !

• If you don't have room for a bonfire, use a metal wheelbarrow, 

• I love a good bonfire!

My best one was in a previous garden when I cleared the bottom half of a neglected garden, waited until after 6.00pm and then lit it. I had to sit on an old dustbin until gone midnight watching it, hos at the ready as I had wooden fences all around me belonging to neighbours. I consumed a large number of coffee, tea and hot chocolate drinks to keep me warm as it was November.
    When I moved here to Cornwall the garden was non existent so again, a lot of clearing needed to be done. One bonfire I had was burning beautifully, until I realised it had begun to run through the dry vegetation, it was during a long hot spell.
    I had to rapidly dowse it using the garden hose. My son in law is a fire fighter and it would not have done his street cred any good at all if his mother in law had called the Fire Brigade to put out his mother in laws garden! 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,563
    Bonfires are fine if you let them burn rather than smoulder for hours.  So many people set fire to heaps of damp stuff and don't think of the surrounding properties.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,644
    Bonfires are not allowed in my village.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,668
    edited 4 March
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,258
    edited 4 March
    Well bonfires are allowed in my part of London anyway, I do like the Bonfire Safety Tips from the London Fire Brigade:

• Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire

😀
  • nicktennickten Posts: 102
    A good bonfire and a mug of tea is a good reward for a bit of garden graft.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,362
    I love a good bonfire!

One bonfire I had was burning beautifully, until I realised it had begun to run through the dry vegetation, it was during a long hot spell.
    I had to rapidly dowse it using the garden hose. My son in law is a fire fighter and it would not have done his street cred any good at all if his mother in law had called the Fire Brigade to put out his mother in laws garden! 
      You're not safe to be let out on your own @Joyce Goldenlily :D 

I love a good burning too. I sometimes use my old wheelbarrow, as @francesmhendry indicates,  but the location is tricky as there's nearly always a wind and it blows everything towards the neighbours, so timing is key. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 13,602
    A firefighter, who shall remain nameless, defenestrated a smouldering sofa rather than alert his colleagues.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,022
    Bonfires aren't permitted in Ireland - though I believe if I warn the local fire station I'm going to burn the huge pile of dead stuff left behind by the former owners of this house, I should get away with it... might go and talk to the nice firemen...   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore