Rose Pruning

biofreakbiofreak Posts: 539

Bearing in mind what a mild Winter we have had, I have hesitated to prune my roses, and they are romping away at all angles unchecked! Should I leave them in peace this year? The climbers are not included in this question as they are under control. It's the Shrub Roses and the Hansa

• Bunty3Bunty3 Posts: 13

I grow rosa rugosa....they are extremely hardy and I usually prune quite late ie around feb/march time....but it's best to refer to the rhs website for specific breeds and their numerous idiosyncrasies.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,106

Hi. If you are in the North like me I would wait till early March, if in the soft South now would be fine.

I wanted your soft verges 
    But you gave me the hard shoulder..

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I've just given my roses a prune to get them in good shape; I'm in the Fens and it isn't very cold at the moment.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

I should have read this before asking about pruning roses earlier today image 

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 539

I pruned my rugosas really hard last year and they were fabulous afterwards. Do I do this every year, or should I leave them until 2015 as the shapes are good. It is very mild here ( as everywhere I think) My neighbour succeeded in nearly murdering my roses last year when he tried to kill his conifer hedge. I lost nearly all my shrubs my side, so hesitate to prune too hard after this set back. Should I just tip to the nearest leaf bud perhaps?

• An expert rose grower once told me "you can prune them hard, you can prune them light, you can prune them early, you can prune them late, they will still flower!"

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 539

Lawnmower's a bit drastic! Sounds like my husband, It never ceases to amaze me what he 'didn't see'!!

• I  Have a climbing rose which I want to train up beside my front door - it has grown in one long stem for the las two years and only flowers tiny little roses over a very short period - this year it has lots of new shoots - should I be ruthless and prune it right back? I am a novice and frightened I will kill all growth!

many thanks 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,145

NO.  The new shoots will bear flowers but you really need to see if you can encourage that one long stem to grow in a more horizontal or diagonal direction by twining or training it.  This will slow down the passage of nutrients and hormones that encourage flowering so you get a more even spread and no just a few flwoers at the tip.

The Vendée, France
  • Obelixx  I have been doing just that with my roses this morning.  I only started growing roses last summer.  Not touched The Pligrim or The Rector yet.