Feathers in Compost?

Hi All,

I have a couple of feather pillows that are coming to the end of their useful life. If I don't do it all at once, can I add the feathers slowly to the compost heap?

• CalendulaCalendula Posts: 69

You could, but I would imagine they would take a very long time to decompose

• Yes feathers are fine to use in the compost head so long as they are well mixed in with other organic matter.  

• Sandra 2Sandra 2 Posts: 32

Thanks guys. I'll compost them very slowly then.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I've done this, and yes, does take some time to break down. Bloke persuaded me to cut his hair at the weekend, I put that in the compost bin, much to his horror. There's a big clump of it right on the top, looks like I've buried him alive in there...

Haha. I'm told that urine helps break down compost more quickly. Anyone want to admit to tryint that? Does it work?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Well I've tried it. I think it did make a wee bit of difference.

Ouch. I guess it is sterile when it first comes out - it's only after it's hit the air that it starts being icky. Not sure I'm going to be caught lugging old milk bottles of wee up to the allotment though...

• 'Course not, Sandra, no need to lug bottles. All you have to do is climb up on top of the heap and allow it to benefit from your nitrogenous waste. We'll all look the other way!

Haha - I could put a seat up there and everything. Maybe an old Punch and Judy Booth around it for privacy...

• I add some to my bin about once a month. I use a bucket so that the neighbours don't know what I'm doing. It seems to help make some good compost, I'm sure it's better stuff since I started doing it 2 years ago. I also put in  hair clippings when I cut hubbies hair and when I brush the dog. The smelly water from vases is full of good bacteria , and I read that the water veg has been cooked in helps break down as well. So I do all these.