Forum home Problem solving

Compost question

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Thanks Dave, I have some cardboard boxes I need to throw out that came from work so will get some of that in. I also need to check for worms as I don't think there are many in so will need to get digging for worms......lovelyimage
  • why not mix some straw into your compost bin this will dry it up and add air into the mix for a while

Clueless

Thanks Clueless, might give that a try too.....cardboard, straw and worms image
  • Tracey I had the same problem with the bin I had, someone told me there was no air getting to it because there where no holes , so I drilled a few around the top and it worked ... try it ..

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Compost needs approx. 50% greens and 50% browns (nitrogen and carbon) to add more 'browns' take sheets of newspaper and ball them up and push into compost (that takes air in too). The cardboard centres from kitchen roll etc can be pushed in to help with bringing air into the centre. I shred paper from my business and add that. Very important to turn it a bit: when it goes slimey, turn it once a week.

Amazon have a selection of compost turners for plastic bins. I would not add any carpet with a latex backing. You also don't need to add worms. If you can get a shovel full of horse manure that would be a great help.

Mine has way too much green then and definitely needs some 'brown'. I've got some shredded paper and will keep some toilet roll insides. Hoping for some good weather on Saturday ready for 'operation compost bin'!!!

Thanks everyone.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Good luck, and tell us how it is going in a couple of weeks, as you can tell, I'm passionate about compostimage

LOL artjak, I'd like to be more passionate about it more I see it is a more of a necessity than a pleasure!! I will update when it is looking more like compost should image
  • Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)
    Thanks Dave, I have some cardboard boxes I need to throw out that came from work so will get some of that in. I also need to check for worms as I don't think there are many in so will need to get digging for worms......lovelyimage

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that worms from your garden wont do any good in the compost Tracey. Compost worms are different - much thinner, smaller beasties. The earth worms that are in your garden spend their time burrowing down into the soil, the little red compost worms like to live on the top of the compost.

It's strange how red worms suddenly appear in the compost, I don't know much about them but I DO know that having them is a sign of a healthy heap.

Ah right, not being a big worm fan (I always have to wear gloves when gardening so I don't touch them) I can't say I have studied the worms in detail, so you are probably right Lancs Lass. I'm going to sort it at weekend and hopefully see some improvement in 2-3 weeks image