Forum home Plants

Monkshood

SilvoSilvo Posts: 1

We moved at the end of last year and our new garden is well established.  I have been told that there is a plant called Monkshood in one of the beds and having read a little about it on the internet I'm now quite concerned and would like to get rid of it as I have small children who like to explore the garden.  I know the area it is in but not sure what it will look like when it starts to grow this year.  What do I do?  Wait until I see the flower and dig it out or try to work out what the leaf looks like and dig it out then?  Can I then be sure it won't come back again or does it have seeds which might spread?  Any advice very gratefully received!

«1345

Posts

  • Amy0824Amy0824 Posts: 20

    May we have a look at your monkshood pictures?

    Many thanks

  • MelenMelen Posts: 19
    image

     Hi Silvo, This is a photo of the Monkshood (Aconitum napellus) that was in my garden, I loved this plant and so did the bees, but due to having puppies in the garden, I decided I'd better remove it as they have a tendancy to chew anything and everything.

    If it's anything like mine was, it probably will be growing well away by now. All I did  was dig a good area around the base, and then leaver it out with a fork. Just make sure you wear gloves when you're handling it, as it is very poisonous. But as long as you get all the roots out I don't think it'll come back again. I've not had any seedlings appear from mine yet. Have a look here for more info about it and a good photo of the leaves.

  • MelenMelen Posts: 19

    These aren't brilliant photos, but at least they might give you an idea of what to look for in terms of leaves.

    image

     

    image

  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,840

    I have grown several forms of Monkshood and many other plants which are toxic if ingested since we started this garden and I've also brought up a child who has progressed to late teenhood with no gardening disasters.   If you remove all potentially harmful plants you'll be left with very little - thorns, stings, harmful sap, berries, pollen, foliage and roots.

    Far better in my view to teach the children respect for plants and borders and to be wary of possible harm - like learning to look before they cross a road and not talking to strangers without their mum.

    If you must remove them, just pull or dig them up but ask your neighbours first if they'd lik ethem and then do it carefully.  Bees love the flowers and they're a valuable garden plant.  Otherwise, put the plants on the compost heap and make sure you wash your hands after touching them.

    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I have only just discovered that the beautiful late summer flowers in my garden are Monkshood.  I love the vibrant blue colour and so do the bees. There are three areas where they grow and as they are quite tall a few years ago I moved some to the back of a border. After now reading they are very toxic and poisonous please advise if I should remove them? Or shall I just take care and enjoy their beauty for a few more years? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,840
    Read back!  They are only poisonous if you're daft enough to ingest them.

    All sorts of common but beautiful garden plants are poisonous - eg digitalis/foxgloves, narcissus/daffodil, hydrangea, oleander, lily of the valley and many more.

    You need to teach your family to be sensible about what they put in their mouths and make sure you wash your hands or, better still, wear gloves when handling them.  
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    It depends. if you have toddlers who are too young to understand or dogs that chew random plants, I would fence them off or get rid of them. Otherwise, teach your children not to eat ANYTHING unless approved by an adult, in the garden or the countryside, and enjoy the plants.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,840
    I have brought up cats, a baby/toddler/child/teenager and dogs with all sorts of poisonous plants and none has suffered.

    Even a simple potato can be poisonous!
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • cmarkrcmarkr Posts: 142
    If you can always supervise puppies/toddlers in the garden then you can manage the situation. If you can't then there's nothing other than luck stopping them from ingesting the poisonous plants. You wouldn't leave sharp knives lying around just because you've told your toddler that they're dangerous and not to touch.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,840
    You can keep sharp knives out of reach and turn pan handles round so a toddler can't grab them and tip something hot over themselves.

    I didn't let my child or dogs out in the garden alone and did do the training required to keep them safe.   Gardens are the least thing you need to worry about unless you live down a country lane with no traffic and no neighbours.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
Sign In or Register to comment.