Forum home Talkback

Winter work on moss?

I've a relative who'se got a small lawn, say 4m x 5m, with lots & lots of small moss patches all over it.

Having read a number of articles/blogs on the internet I'm undecided as how to proceed.

As the moss will be very wet at the moment, would it be advisable/easier to rake it now or leave it until April when applying the 'moss killer'?

Your advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,193

My lawn is too wet, I'm leaving it until spring when I'll use moss killer and fertiliser.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,474

I'd keep off the lawn while it's as wet as it is at the moment - doing anything to it while we've got this amount of sogginess will do more harm than good image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Busy-Lizzie & Dovefromabove.

Seems a good idea to wait.

Any recommendations on the make of moss killer you've used to do the best job?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,474

In the past I've used the Evergreen complete and it's been very effective when used according to the directions.

I don't use any 'chemicals' on the lawns in this garden as we have a lot of wildlife, frogs etc and wildflowers in the lawn which we are very happy with - it takes a bit of raking and aerating to keep the moss under control - but it's cheaper than going to the gym image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Cheers guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Note to self - "Cancel gym membership prior to raking!"

• Shoz2Shoz2 Posts: 15

I have decided that moss is indestructible! My patch is   on a slope.

very sandy.

always dry.. the water runs off.

is fed mosskiller annually

or twice a year if I feel moved

and STILL the "Lawn" is 90% moss!