rose through fig tree and other challenging site

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

hi i asked last year for advice re pruning mature fig, followed it and planto prune more this year after frost danger gone, i'd like to grow a rambler rose through it and the montana that scrambles through-welcomed- from house behind. only have a very small 12 inch square area to plant, west facing, i'd like pauls himalayan musk any ideas from anyone  if this would be successful, also what rose and clematis can i grow over  a newly made colonade in a fairly shady site, does get some sun in summer-between ur house and next door

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,224

Pauls himalayan musk is fairly rampant and I think it would overwhelm your fig. In order to plant into this small hole I think you would end up destroying a lot of the roots of the fig.

With regard to roses for shade try looking on the David Austen site, that should give you advice.

I've seen the needle and the damage done
    A little part of it in everyone
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

Are you hoping to get fruit from your fig tree?  If so I'd not grow anything through it. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569
    HI Louise, i too have to prune an old fig weve inherited with our new house,how did you go about it, iv read about cutting out one third at a time is this what you did and how did the fig respond,
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

oh pants, really want something to grow through it, it looks quite good in winter almost magical, but leaves huge and overwhelms space. place i wanted to plant rose is8 ft away from main trunk, does that make it more feasible,alan, i pruned a bit randomly, a 3rd ish off a 3rd ish of tree! it fruited well, on sheltered west wall, want to still get fruit but love flowers and climbers, esp as garden only 10x5 metres

ps,anything else i could grow through it? i'll try to learn how to post photos, all v hard with wriggly baby on knee-hence lack of punctuation and capitals...wouls pauls himalayan musk be ok over colonade then? would get couple of hours sin higher up in summer, not much at ground level, jasmine successful in this spot that will eventually clothe arch and colonade too. please excuse my lack of knowledge

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

I think growing a climber nearby is quite feasible, but I wouldn't allow anything to grow up through the branches - for a start I think the weight of a rose in full leaf would be too heavy for a fig which has quite bendy branches - also the shade cast by the large fig leaves would be too much for most if not all roses to flower.  

I think I'd try a Clematis alpina near the fig, but not allow it to grow through it. 

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/Clematis-alpina/  It shouldn't grow too big for the site, and doesn't need complicated pruning, but if you need to cut it back you can do so. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

thanks dove but pants again!!! in one way i love the fig, in another it's a pain, you're right, the shade it casts is overbearing, forgot (let me off, little boy only 11 weeks old!) i did plant 'generous gardener' in this corner, it looks healthy, had /has new growth but didnt flower, will move soon..ok maybe try a clematis, this tree is very established and has a montana scrambling through it from house we back onto, it looks stunnong in may, im obsessed with roses and clematis, probably as gardens small want lots of climbers

ps anyone any ideas about shady colonade?

i could do with a local gardening friend,i'm full of ideas but little knowledge, my husband is soooo not interested, though he commented few times last year garden looked nice! parents more clueless than me!

• Generous gardener seems to do fine in shade. My figs produce fruit despite a rampant Rambling Rector, but the rose is supported by an old and dead greengage trunk. Both really need sun.   David Austin catalogue does give good advice .