Asparagus

I have a new garden and am hoping to plant some asparagus this year.  I'd like to grow a couple of different varieties. Does anyone have any tips on good varieties and good suppliers?

The garden had been quite neglected in the past, so am sure it has a lot of perennial weed roots and weed seeds in.  I know asparagus needs weed free soil as the shallow roots mean they are difficult to weed.  Would it be possible to grown through black membrane to suppress weeds? Or do I just get as many roots out as I can and then pull out annuals by hand? I'm not patient enough to cover the area for a year before planting, as it will already be 2 years before I get a crop! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,658

Hi Poddington P image

Membrane wouldn't work as the new shoots spread out from the roots.  

Nothing for it but to dig out the perennial weeds and hand weed the annuals - sorry image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I see, that makes sense. My first allotment had an asparagus bed, so although i can claim to have grown it before, i only really had to do the picking and eating bit. image

In this garden, there seems to be some quite rampant mint that has colonised the whole of the plot.  Think its going to be a bit of a challenge to get it all out.