raspberry cane pot size

Hi,

i have 10 raspberry canes. 5 each of tulameen and autumn bliss. they have been bought from B & Q and provided as a pot of tied together canes. my intention with these was to plant them out but i have had a bit of a bad soil situation (image) and so it wouldnt be wise to plant them out now til at least autumn but most likely next year.

so for now, id like to move each cane into a pot. but im wondering about pot size for them ... assuming they get planted out next year, what size pot would be reasonable to aid growth and not inhibit it by being too large? im not fussed about getting fruits from them this year, as i see it more important they are only planted in the best type of soil i can provide them with to enable better long term gain.

what recommendations are there for pot size? while at it, id like the same answered for blueberry - (these would be in 1.5 or 2 litre pots). except, the blueberries would stay in containers. ive read around 18" is a good size but im assuming thats for a full grown plant and not a younger one. 

help?

https://www.dropbox.com/sm/create/Photos/IMAG1193.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sm/create/Photos/IMAG1194.jpg

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

whats the soil situation DJ?

• djjjukdjjjuk Posts: 211

Dave, disaster. heavy waterlogged clay that ive turned into cement by adding sharp sand. as its still wet its getting worse. when its warmer in spring ill dig compost and conditioner into it but for now it needs to settle as ive dug it all up about 1.5 feet deep!

Bump ... really need advice on this one!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Digging in compost now would be best. I know it will be hard work, but now is the best time as the rotting process needs to get underway asap.

We really need a distinct cold period with plenty of frost, as this will help break up the clay, but adding manure opens up the clay particles, which when we do get a cold period, will allow the frost in which speeds the break up.

There is no easy solution, just hard work, and a prayer for less rain.

Dave, the hard work doesnt bother me at all, what does worry me is making the situation worse. as its rained every day this week and snowed a bit, the ground is still saturated. is it still advisable to add manure and compost into the area while its cement-like?