Guelder Rose

Hello

Interested to know if the fruit on the Vibrnum Opulus are eaten by birds. If so can you recommend an evergreen variety. I want to plant it in clay soil to cover a 6 foot fence.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,234

Viburnum opulus berries are good bird food and there are evergreen viburnums. The evergreen ones don't have those lovely berries.  Consider Cotoneaster lacteus instead

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=565

Mine looks lovely with berries right now, the blackbirds will strip them very soon

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,208

Both would suit those conditions very well. I have a great fondness for the viburnum even though it is deciduous.

I've seen the needle and the damage done
    A little part of it in everyone
  • Hello nutcutlet, thanks for letting me know that the evergreen Viburnum Opulus don't have berries.I have 2 very large evergreen Cotoneaster Cornubia that are full of red berries right now and as you said the the blackbirds are having feast of them. Decided to go for Viburnum Opulus Compactum which is deciduous.

Lovely plant if you're sure it's big enough. 

Those Cotoneaster 'Cornubia' are lovely aren't they.

• Viburnum davidii and Viburnum tinus are both evergreen and have dark blue berries. I don't know if the birds like them though! V. davidii is quite compact, while V. tinus can get as big as V.opulus.

• Landgirl100 I have Viburnum Tinus but never noticed birds eating the berries, know birds prefer red berries.

Nutcutlet you are right, the Viburnum Opulus Compactum is too small for what I am looking for, any suggestions.  the Cotoneaster Colnubia is a beautiful shrub/tree but needs pruning which I hate to do to keep it under control.

Hi Ahmadmirza.

Viburnum opulus, the native guelder rose, is excellent. Various cultivars (different varieties) of this have been developed but are not as good as the original species. Avoid any with 'roseum' or 'sterile' after the name, or 'the snowball bush. They all have much larger flowers but no berries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_opulus

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 751

There isn't an evergreen V. opulus. There's loads of good shrubs for berries, V.o. is one but not evergreen, Pyracnatha c. Cadrou is great for berries and birds love it. They stripped mine clean over Christmas week. Holly and ivy are good native evergreens for birds and wildlife. I would advise to look up what is native then check if evergreen and if has berries before buying anything. Google is a wonderful tool.

• Hello nutcutlet

Thank for the info, few years ago I bought a Wildlife hedge which was supposed to consist of 3 Guelder Roses, however I believe they are just plain rose bushes. I prune the hedge twice a year so they never get to the berry producing stage so can't be certain, that is why I am set on getting a Guelder Rose.

Hi Jim

I already have all the shrubs you mentioned, the blackbirds have just devoured all the berries on the Pyracnatha and now are well thru the berries on the Cotoneaster bush/trees. I will try Google, as you said they are very good.

Common names are very confusing. Guelder rose isn't a rose and looks nothing like one. No prickles for a start. It's not even in the same family. I don't know where it got the name guelder rose

I'm always very pleased with mine, lovely autumn colour as well