Forum home Wildlife gardening

How can I get frogs to use my pond?

2»

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,087

Well, we've agreed on the 2nd pond anyway so I'll put it in and wait to see whether the frogs regard it as a desirable residence. Won't be finished in time for this season though as it's part of a more major landscaping project.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Let us see some photos when you get round to it SG

• Do you have plenty of water plants in your pond?  Frogs like to hide under foliage. If not this is something you could do in the second pond you are going to create.  Have a shallow side for the frogs and for any hedgehogs that might fall in, so they can get out again. Best of luck with your new project.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,087

Thanks Tracey. Yes, there are plenty of plants but the sides are rather steep, which might be the problem. I'll definitely have a shallow side in the new pond.

I never get hedgehogs in my garden either, which is sad. I've had them in all my previous gardens but never in this one. All my other gardens have been in villages though and this one is in the middle of nowhere surrounded by farmland so perhaps that's the reason.

• linjoylinjoy Posts: 12

I used to get frogs and spawn yearly but not for ages now.  I have newts and wonder if frogs do not like them?  Also I get masses of large green spawn from midsummer right through the winter.  What is it?

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

linjoy - are you sure it's spawn and not blanket weed?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358

Blanket weed can look just like spawn when it gets a foothold - it looks 'bubbly'.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....