winter care of fruit trees

My fruit trees are 2 years old. I have a bramley, a family apple tree, a cherry, a damson and a family pear tree. Last year the apple tree got covered in greenfly=no fruit. The bramley had one apple which fell off and was eaten by ants before I got to it. The pear and damson no fruit. We had a few delicious cherries once I had got rid of the ants which were trying to eat them. My question is how do I look after now to ensure some fruit in the autumn or am I expecting results too soon?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,291

Yes, a bit too eager rubber!  They will start fruiting properly from the 3rd year and steadily get better.  The greenfly are 'farmed' by ants so the trick is to put a thick band of Vaseline all the way around the trunk, just above where it's tied to the stake.  This prevents the ants from climbing up into the tree carrying young aphids which they deposit on the youngest leaves.  The ants feed from the sugary honeydew which the aphids exude as a waste product when sucking sap.

Make sure you prune the young trees properly during winter for the first few years as it's important to form the right shape while they are young.  There are a few posts about how to do this on the forum - I'll bump them up for you.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Apples at least, form fruit on two year old + wood so you need to be more patient. 

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know how busy my ants had been!