Forum home Talkback

new roses and other new planting

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

hi all i'm going to almost completely replant our front garden, west facing, lots of herbaceous perennials mainly geraniums 2 peonies..some of theses i will divide and keep..i really want to plant 3 roses in a triangle, want pink or white,good fragrance,good for cutting want to train over willow canes if poss..also suggestions for good plants around them to flower before during and after roses.. i do keep looking at david austin site but i'm struggling to choose so wondered if anyone had good suggestions..oh also thinking of replacing rhododendron with dwarf apple or cherry tree, any ideas, only about 12ft from house..am bit tight timewise as got 2 year old and 10 week old all comments welcomed

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If your'e looking at david austin's roses, my choice would be Claire Austin, Crocus rose, or Englands rose. I have all three in mixed borders and they are great.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,195

The problem with willow canes is that they either sprout roots and take hold and become a pain or they rot and look unattatractive after quite a short time.   I'd go for roses that support themselves and are less labour intensive.

I suggest you have another look at the section on roses for mixed borders on the David Austin site.  Harlow Carr looks good - floriferous, perfumed and very disease resistant.   Might get that one myself.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

thanks,had shortlisted harlow carr, heritage, brother cadfael,and alnwick rose crocus rose bit yellow for me,thanks for willow info, had just read helped produce lots of flowers.sorry for subject swap, and sorry for silly queastions, i'm really new gardener, could i plant spring bulbs then successfully plant sweet peas in same small half circle bed, did v eel with sweet peas there last year but bed bare rest of time