Forum home Fruit & veg

How LATE can you plant blackcurrents / raspberries?

Everywhere is proclaiming now is the ideal time to plant the blackberry type fruit bushes.

However everywhere has not seen the state of the ground where I intend on growing said fruit bushes. It is politely a mess.

Less politely it looks like a digger and overly enthusiastic driver crashed into the washing line pulling up the concrete posts, before performing the longest (and slowest) stunt wheelie along the paving which was not designed to take his weight and broke up somewhat. It is waterlogged, compacted, and right in the way of where two wheelbarrows and 5 ton of ballast will be trundling before a team of hairy arsed builders carrying the ManShed will tred their delicate hoofs.

So how long can you leave it before planting fruit bushes? Will it still be okay to plant in late March / early April? Or should I consign the area to a different plant and get them in the ground next year?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,798

As late as you like if you've got a good torch image  

I'll get my coat ..........................imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

From what you describe I think preparing the bed will be the challenge!

You can plant fruit bushes at any time, delaying it will determine what sort of crop you get in the first and second year.

Best of luck with the preparation!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

The bed was fine til the digger came and went as I'd dug it through ready to get planting (good job I didn't!)

The rest of the flower beds aren't much better right now being under several ton of (very nice) top soil. I'll get some pots ready!