Young gooseberry plant - should the leaves fall off in winter?

Hi there,

I bought a gooseberry plant from a pound store in summer, and planted it in my garden in a fairly sunny spot. It looked like it was doing OK but towards autumn it was looking a little off colour, and in winter it has lost all of its leaves. Is this normal?

• Yes, gooseberry is deciduous. The leaves will reappear in spring.

• Yes they should.... Use this as an opportunity to identify potential pruning as they are best pruned in a bowl like shape to keep good air flow.... I identify branches that need to be pruned and mark them so when I can prune them and they are full of leaves I will know where

• Thanks peeps! It's too small to be called 'bush shaped' yet, but hopefully soon...

• What's a 'leg'? I'm a real beginner image

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

When and how do you prune gooseberries?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566

This is pretty clear http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=332 

There are also some videos on YouTube if you like googling image

As you're really getting into pruningimage you might find 'How to Prune by John Cushnie' helpful - it really is the best book on pruning that I'm aware of and is my bible.  

It's available on Amazon, second hand copies go for very reasonable amounts.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks. I have looked at a few videos on u tube and now I am an expert!  What a shame my bush is bairly visible now. Perhaps I got carried away!