Young gooseberry plant - should the leaves fall off in winter?

Hi there,

I bought a gooseberry plant from a pound store in summer, and planted it in my garden in a fairly sunny spot. It looked like it was doing OK but towards autumn it was looking a little off colour, and in winter it has lost all of its leaves. Is this normal?

• Yes, gooseberry is deciduous. The leaves will reappear in spring.

• Yes they should.... Use this as an opportunity to identify potential pruning as they are best pruned in a bowl like shape to keep good air flow.... I identify branches that need to be pruned and mark them so when I can prune them and they are full of leaves I will know where

• Thanks peeps! It's too small to be called 'bush shaped' yet, but hopefully soon...

• What's a 'leg'? I'm a real beginner image

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

When and how do you prune gooseberries?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,806

This is pretty clear http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=332 

There are also some videos on YouTube if you like googling image

As you're really getting into pruningimage you might find 'How to Prune by John Cushnie' helpful - it really is the best book on pruning that I'm aware of and is my bible.  

It's available on Amazon, second hand copies go for very reasonable amounts.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks. I have looked at a few videos on u tube and now I am an expert!  What a shame my bush is bairly visible now. Perhaps I got carried away!