Dry stone plants Ideas

Please can anybody suggest or recommend plants I can grow on dry stone wall? Which one looks good and also work well?

Thank you

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Tried the rhs website kru?

• If you can get pockets of soil then campanulas are lovely, I also grow violets in my walls and phlox. Trying to get as much flowers in for the bees etc. Flea bane seems to do well. I just googled 'plants for dry stone walls' in images and quite a lot comes up.

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

Aubretia works well and is good for pollinators. I also like fleabane as suggested above.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,546

http://data7.blog.de/media/202/6543202_09c8fb7525_m.jpg

Not my photo, though.

Sedums for rockeries work well too, they don't need much earth or water.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,197

I love the lichen image

• krukru Posts: 9

Dave had a glance at rhs site. 

Dashwood I have tried Google search plants for dry stone wall. As, I am naive at gardening I wanted to know other people experience. Thank you for the suggestions. I will google them too. image

higgy50, busy lizzie, nutcutlet, Thank you for the suggestions.

Please keep your suggestions or recommendations coming in. 

Thank you

Verdun, that sounds lovely and great to keep the interest going throughout the summer months!

Arabis is a good suggestion and the one I had in my old garden gave off a lovely scent.

The other thing that I have grown on the dry parts of my rockery are Californian Poppy, they would like the dry conditions and add a lovely splash of bright orange although you can get pink and cream varieties also. Only annual but might be worth buying a packet of seed and sprinkling over the gaps in the wall and see what grows!?...

I grow them in my wildflower area but as you say they don't last long. An alternative which might be worth a go I know as Pheasant's Eye? These are bright red and flower for longer than poppies during June and July. I had one just pop up in the garden a couple of years ago and by dead-heading kept it going for quite some time.