Forum home Talkback

Hello guys

Hello guys, my names Lu, I'm from Kent and work as a mole and rabbit catcher but have a huge passion for gardening and wildlife. Just on here to chat with fellow gardeners and maybe help out with any lawn wreckers. Thanks again and I look forward to chatting.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    You don't hurt them do you?
  • Unfortunately yes, but I use traditional instant dispatch traps, which are deemed completely humane unlike general pest controllers who gas which is a slow painful death. Moles are haemophiliacs so can't be picked up with tongs or held roughly as the slightest of bruising will lead to internal bleeding. If there was a way for me to catch them without harming them I would. The humans traps that are on the market aren't so humane, holding an animal in an enclosure that needs to eat every 4 hours isn't humane in my eyes.
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 983

I have 5 cats - 2 of which are great Mole Catchers - Totally inedible they are killed immediately by sharp claws and left for me to chuck away!

• That's excellent do they want a job?
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 983

At a price to be negotiated with my mole free neighbours!! Joking apart - I have watched the kittens following their mother and copying her with heads slightly turned listening to the ground and then when older sitting for hours next to a mole hill. The strike is amazing and the mole flies through the air to be dispatched by Mum. Not all my cats have been any good, seems to be the common moggy who is best. The Pedigrees are far too superior to be seen mole catching!!

• MuddyForkMuddyFork North HampshirePosts: 435

I'll have to change my pedigree for a moggy immediately.  Having been underwater for nearly 2 weeks I thought I'd be free of moles for a while, but no - 4 new hills overnightimage  

I think my 2 Beagles would keep anything away, although thankfully we don't have a mole problem. I would be gutted though if they caught a rabbit image I spent about 2 hours once trying to catch my male beagle, he wouldn't come back until he had caught me a present and eventually dropped a water vole at my feet!!!! Needless to say, covered in scratches from bushes and wet through I was not amused!!!!
  • That's a shame Tracey the water voles are our friends! Yes muddy fork after a wet period mole activity is always worse as their previous home has become water logged they start straight away on building a new home and finding food. If you have moles you've got good soil
    I know, it is the only time he has caught something and brought it back, usually he just wants to play, ie with frogs and hedgehogs in the garden he just tries playing with them....he is a silly beagle LOL!!! I suppose it's just nature but I don't like them catching things image
  • It is nature. The beagle is a foxing breed so I guess it's inevitable!