Weeds-wanting to grow lavender border

Hi

I'm wanting to make a lavender border all around my house, but before I can do that I need to prepare the border. I removed the weeds (including roots) several times late last summer however the weeds keep coming back. What would be the best way to remove the weeds as I want the border to be as weed free as possible. I've heard that weed killer is bad as it would make the soil toxic, I don't mind putting the work in so would the best option be to remove all the soil and then simply replace with compost? or to use a ruddle? I have a big problem with weeds last year I was picking weeds out of my runner bean patch every week and still they kept coming back.

Also what soil composition is needed for lavender, I hear they need good drainage and that sand should be mixed into the soil to help drainage.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,677

Hi snowyy image

What sort of weed are you having a problem with?  If they're perennial weeds then spraying with glyphosate when they are growing strongly and then leaving them to die down and go brown will kill the roots as well as the green tops.  You can then plant your lavender bushes - glyphosate has no effect on the soil.

If you're struggling with lots of little germinating weeds from seeds in the soil (they'll look a bit like the mustard and cress you get in punnets from the greengrocer), then you need to hoe the beds regularly, at least weekly in the growing season, until most of the weed seeds have germinated and you've hoed and destroyed them - then plant your lavender.  You'll never get rid of all the little weeds and will need to hoe gently between your shrubs, or get on your hands and knees and hand weed while the weeds are still small.

And yes, lavender needs good drainage - I find horticultural grit dug into the soil is better than sand.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • snowyysnowyy Posts: 15

Nutsedge, bind weed, nettle, dock/thistle type and then loads of little like cress ones.

Should I put some compost in the soil as well?

• Do you mean Nutsedge or is it something else, snowyy? I didn't think that was a common weed in the UK.

I agree with Dove - keep cutting off the little ones with your hoe, then use the weedkiller when the perennials are growing away well. But you have to accept that there will always be weeds, it's an ongoing job!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,677

Mainly perennials  - when the weeds are growing away strongly spray with a weedkiller containing glyphosate and then leave them until the top growth has died right down - if you pull them up before then the roots will still be alive and any tiny piece you leave behind will grow again and you'll have wasted your time, money and energy. 

What's the soil like?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

cool thanks, not sure if it is nutsedge, might even be grass lol. I plan on growing lavender from seeds in pots in the upcoming weeks then hopefully they will be mature enough to be planted spring/summer. Which gives me plenty of time to get the soil in the border ready.

The soil is ok although I'm only a novice garder so I'm not sure really, it's not like clay it is just like soil with stones in.

Is bone meal organic fertillser?

thanks Verdun, I will use fish blood and bone fertillser. I was just going to get some seeds from Wilkinsons, I think they are called munstead lavender. Yep I'm groing in pots until big enough and hopefully I will be able to put them outside this year.

Thanks for all your advice, oh do i put the fertilizer/fish blood etc in the soil a few days before planting the lavender or does it need to sit in the soil for months first?