New to gardening and forum

Hi, I live in London, with only a balcony, but I am also now tending to planters in my forecourt, so i have joined this forum looking for help and advise, as I really am a beginner, Ok i have containers and window boxes but that is it, until recently, but I know have the gardening bug, and cannot wait to start image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

Welcome Wendy image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

and me welcome . think there  a lady on here who grows in pots and containers and has won  garden comps this yearimage

• lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

Hi Wendy image

• daydaisydaydaisy Posts: 364

Hello Wendy    image

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Hello Wendy image

Even the gardeners on here who have large gardens will also have things in pots. I've got far too many, that's because I buy plants and don't have room for them image

• Great to meet you all, just wondering what needs to be done at this time of year, is anyone thinking of buying plugs, I just cannot wait to start image I have bulbs coming up in containers, its very exciting for me as i haven't really taken any notice before.

Is it best to wait ? to buy, we are getting such nice weather I fell like it is spring.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

Hi, we weren't far from you at the weekend, and yes it was almost springlike - but it's a bit early to start buying tender things yet - have a look at catalogues and books and make some plans - do you know what bulbs are peeping though?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,201

Hi Wendy. Beware, there is a long time to go before winter is done.

What you can do is to think what you might want to grow from seed, and you can start ordering from catalogues or buying from GCs. You can then start sowing seeds indoors in mid-February, if you have a window sill with good light. You can also start to plan other plants you might want to grow, plenty of shrubs and small trees grow well in pots.

Planning is at least half of the fun.

Ku Klux Klan serve hot soul food and the band plays in the mood

• Yes i know i am getting a bit ahead of myself image

I have been sorting out these large planters in the last 2 weeks, that i have kind of took over , no one was tending them for years, so they were in quite a mess, but now are looking to look like they should. But of course I have to think of what should go in them etc, so am trying to find out more.