Pear Tree training

Hi

I have a five year old Conference pear (dwarfing rootstock) which has never been pruned. It has grown strongly in a upright candelabra shape to about 2.5 m high but never fruited. Is it now to late in its life to prune and train as a 'Palmette' or U shaped Espalier ? If not when can I start this process and how/when do I make the initial pruning cuts ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,635

Pears do take a while to start fruiting - there's an old saying that you 'plant pears for your heirs'.  

Modern varieties and dwarfing rootstocks have reduced the time we have to wait, but often they still take a while. 

Can you post a photo of your tree, showing the structure - it will give us a better idea of the possibilities.

To post a picture click on the little tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks so very much for your reply. I will take a picture this weekend and post ASAP.