Introducing myself

I am based in central Edinburgh,adjacent to the magnificent Holyrood Park & Holyrood Palace. I earned a diploma in Practical Horticulture at The Royal Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh.As well as running my gardening business  I am fortunate enough to work on and maintain gardens and lawns for The National Trust in Scotland. I am experienced in arborial and tree work through voluntary service with The Scottish Wildlife Trust.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,699

Welcome to the board - it's lovely to have such experienced people here.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that this forum is provided free of charge by Gardeners World, which is a commercial business dependent for it's income on advertising and, although if we come across a business that gives good service we are free to mention its name, it's really not on to plug your own businesses on here.

Hope you understand - no intention to offend - just thought I'd point it out image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

Dove beat me to it.

I was going to enquire whether you'd come to join our forum in which case, hello, welcome, or to advertise your company, that's rather less welcome.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Holyrood, it would be great to have your input on tree advice, but as Nut and Dove said above, this is not a place to advertise. But who knows? You might learn a bit from us amateur gardeners.image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Hi Holyrood Gardener, welcome the forum. I'm fairly new too, only a few days ago I joined and everyone is really friendly. It's a great forum for sharing tips and practical advice, although I can't give much (if any) advice as I'm fairly new to gardening.

I do need some advice though on my apple tree and when I should prune it, I always get scared to do it in case it doesn't fruit but it looks a bit straggly!! Hopefully you have joined to share your expertise and as the others have said above, maybe learn something from them (not me). T
  • patty3patty3 Posts: 129

HI holyood gardener,

• patty3patty3 Posts: 129

dove and nut,

give the man a chance, he was only introducing himself to us.

Patty, we have given him a chance - I have welcomed him to the board but explained that this forum is part of a business and is paid for by the income from advertising - it's really not acceptable for someone to promote their own business at the expense of businesses who pay for the board.  

Doing this gives him the chance to remove the link to his business website from his posts and personal details, and remain as a contributor to the Board, before the Moderators remove him entirely.

I don't think that I was impolite - I tried not to be image 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572
    Brum you make me laf i wish i could do that stuff its really good, And has anyone ever seen a bungalow full of Fog ,iv got one no windows just fog and frostbite happy days everyone
  • Duh! Excuse my ignorance! Didnt mean to cause offense OR advertise.

Regards Tracey- Newbie's query on pruning apple trees...............................

In general its prudent to prune between Autumn and spring.

Remember the 3 -D rule (Dead,Dying & diseased)....remove!

Also cut branches that cross one another or rub against others.

You want to let as much light as possible into the tree,so if there is a heavy top growth remove.

There are some great videos on You Tube which can go into more detail.

Good luck

No offence caused I'm sure HG - hope I may call you HG? image

I'm sure we'll find your expertise helpful - several 'tree queries' around at the moment.