Forum home The potting shed

Greenhouse electrified!

2»

• Why can't they invent wireless electricity, would be so much easierimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Maybe one day LFimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,243

Mine has armoured cable wires run under the paving slabs or buried deep ( 30cm or a foot in old money)under  the hedge from the garage. The external sockets are proper outside sockets with coverings. There is an off switch in the garage to isolate the system, and it has its own circuit breaker (residual current device). Mine was fitted by my brother, who happens to be a qualified electrician.

As others above have put, electricity and water don't mix, get someone qualified in.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Marg48 I know exactly where you're coming from:/ everything is so expensive, fortunately I have a fab hubby who know a lot of tradesmen so consider myself very lucky...

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

When we had electricity put into our greenhouse, the electrician dug a trench all the way - about 20 meters, lined it with ??, put the cable, armoured, into an old hose pipe, and buried it all deep.  Never had a moments trouble in 12 years.  The switch and socket is in the kitchen, the cable runs down the wall and then underground as I said, to the greenhouse.  It went under the beds, a lawn, through a hedge, under slabs and arrived eventually - best days work I ever paid for, worth every penny it cost.  Not a tai people want to do themselves unless qualified to do so - electricity is dangerous stuff isn't it?