Forum home Talkback

Depleated soil levels

After just carrying out multiple soli tests on my first  allotment, I've found that while the potash level ranges from an adequate to deficient level the nitrogen and phosphorus levels were depleted through out the entire allotment. Ph 6 - 6.5 The allotment will be used for a wide range of vegetables and some soft fruit.

Could anyone give me advice please on the best type or combinations of fertilisers to use to rectify the soil problem. The soil is of a normal free draining type structure.

Many thanks

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Organic or non organic?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170

If its free draining, I would give it a load of well rotted Farm Yard manure. This will help retain nutrients long term, otherwise with excessive rain, it just drains straight through. Next spring , I would dose the area with 100g of Blood , fish and bonemeal every square metre.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,555

Absolutely agree with Fidgetbones image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

You can't beat a good dollop of muck.

• Many thanks for all your advice and comments folks, most helpful and appreciated