Connecting water butts to a greenhouse

My first ever Greenhouse is coming next week and I thought I'd save a bit of cash on water by connecting a waterbutt. The kits to collect the water aren't the cheapest of things so has anyone gone about it in a different way? It's a Halls 6x6 greenhouse. £17 for the kit isn't lots but it's just a piece of plastic!

Cheers.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,235

I bought a little down pipe that fitted into the guttering of mine, it was 1.99, amazon or ebay, cant remember. Check it will fit yours first, if not you can do a good bodge job with bits and pieces and some strong waterproof tape. Wheres theres a will and all that.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

If your making something yourself out of guttering get some 'gutter sealer' as it's great for sealing around joints etc, it's also flexible and 100% waterproof.

I also use this on pond filters - The pipe delivering water from the pump to the filter box often leaks so I wipe a small amount of sealant around the thread where it screws onto the filter box and once screwed together, no leaks!image

Try and find an environmentally friendly one though as you don't want anything nasty leaching into your water butts or pond!

Best

Higgy

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 959

I used a piece of hose from a car radiator to connect mine up - just pushed it on and hooked the jubilee clip (attached) to the existing gutter on green house to hold it in place. As it has a bend in it, any debris that falls in catches in the bend and I can remove it. Having said that - with a lovely new green house... a piece of radiator hose is not going to look great. image

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    Try a chain attached to the end of the gutter which then drops into or just try a cane in the water butt leaning against the gutter outlet.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572
    can you not just fit a stop end to the gutter ,a connection out to the down pipe into your but just the exact same as you would do a roof gutter into a drain pipe,
  • Use some overflow pipe,  shape a piece of wood  slightly smaller than the gutter and make it pointed at one end. Heat the pipe end  with paint stripper gun to soften and gently push in the wood to form a  gutter shape. Allow to cool, remove the mould and fix into the gutter with silicone, a push on elbow takes it to the butt. Screwfix or Toolstation do the pipe for about £1 for 3m. Build up a silicone wall at the other end as a stop end