Forum home Problem solving

No flowers on bergenia

I have bergenia in several places round my garden but they have flowered less and less since we moved here nearly 4 years ago, so far no flowers this year, whereas I noticed lots of flowers on those at the hospital we have just attended.  They are not gappy and have lots of healthy leaves. Should I be dividing them and replanting the youngest bits?  Is it too late to do it now?  If not, do I dig in a lot of compost, adding some fertiliser (e.g. blood, fish and bone), before replanting?

• I have bergenia in several places round my garden but they have flowered less and less since we moved here nearly 4 years ago, so far no flowers this year, whereas I noticed lots of flowers on those at the hospital we have just attended.  They are not gappy and have lots of healthy leaves. Should I be dividing them and replanting the youngest bits?  Is it too late to do it now?  If not, do I dig in a lot of compost, adding some fertiliser (e.g. blood, fish and bone), before replanting?

Just digging around on this site to find a solution to this problem, which exactly corresponds to a problem I have.

I can find no solution to this on this site, although I may be looking in the wrong place!
    Can anyone out there give me some indication as to why they have stopped flowering?
  • Thank you Philippa Smith2 and Songbird-1 for your helpful replies. You are correct that they are overcrowded. They are cordifolia 'Purpurea' variety and we planted them about 12/13 years ago and they have never been split or moved (or had any TLC, to my shame)!  I shall divide them and give them some feed, and hopefully increase the stock.

• That's sad, Songbird-1. Grandmothers and egg-sucking comes to mind, so apologies in advance, but here'a an article which I've just found. Don't know if any of it works!

I dug all mine out yesterday, split them and replanted, well spaced apart. They have two  chances. If all else fails, I'll replace with new stock. I don't seem to have the vine weevil problem. Yet.