Forum home Talkback

Evergreen Hedging Dilema

Hi

My husband and I are trying to decide on a evergreen hedge for our garden. We have a lovely stone wall that we built and we wan to have a hedge that is clear stem up to about 120cm.  We want to maintain the feeling of space and still see the wall through the stems.

It has to be evergreen, quite hardy as we are in an exposed windy postion inland. Not particulary found of red so have already discounted Phontina (Red Robin) or some hollies with red berries.  We we close to choosing Elaeagnus x ebbingei in a clear stem form from an Italian supplier only to find at the last minute the stock they held was a grafted form of plant, and would not be that hardy.

Any suggestions of any other hedging that would be suitable in a windy exposed position?

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,336

I'd go for pleached hornbeam - not exactly evergreen, but permanent leaf image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Portugal laurel, Prunus lusitanicus might do well

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..this site might be of interest, expensive I imagine if this is what you are looking for, I'm not sure... however, a young man on photo no. 10 looks to have taken the 'balls on stem' rather seriously, if you get my meaning..lol...

http://www.hedgeworx.co.uk/balls-on-stem-topiary-gallery.asp#prettyPhoto

• Thanks nutcutlet, Dovefromabove  and Salino will look into those options.

Any other suggestions?? Also will need recommendations of good suppliers will need about 70 individual plants so reasonably big order