Planting for gravelled areas

Last year I removed some south-facing lawn and replaced it with a geotextile  membrane and gravel, it's now known as The Beach as the gravel is the same colour as sand!

Continuing the beach theme I'd like to put in some plants which you would find on shingle, we have the wind but thankfully not the salt. Can anyone suggest plants that you'd expect to see by the sea?

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Thrift and spiky grasses. Verdun will help with that. 

• Eryngium - several good species (sea holly). 

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..most of my garden is like this, I also have a 'beach' effect.  There are so many plants to choose from....  don't need to stick with maritime ones especially but Silene maritima 'Robin Whitebreast' flowers all summer if sheared occasionally...  Helianthemum's look really good on shingle...

• Stipa tennuissima, agave, ophiopogon nigrascens, borage, fennel, lavender and echinacea I can think of off the top of my head, but as salino says, verd would be the man for that image
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,537

Have a look at Beth Chatto's gravel garden. I think once it was a car park and now it's a wonderful gravel garden that she doesn't water. If you click on gallery it will show pictures about the garden areas, woodland, gravel etc and if you click on gravel you will see more photos.

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plants-for-specific-conditions/drought-loving-plants.htm

Just started gardening after xxx years of not having any time.

• John thats amazing! I'm not jealous atall image

• Many thanks for all these contributions, I'll let you know how I get on!