AWBAWB Posts: 400

Spent the morning gathering bits and pieces to create a Stumperie.

Spent the afternoon choosing the plants and ferns that I will need.

will take the opportunity to incorporate a hibernacium .

ordered some hellebores from waitrose,only £1.99 each.

What a lovely day.

photos will follow

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

Yes I also enjoyed that one, and the shade garden incorporating logs & stumps really is quite additive.

Spookily I planted out some more Helebores this morning, along with some Pulmonaria which will serve the bees in early Spring.

I bought my Helebores from ebay as someone was selling large seedlings at £2.99 for twenty with free postage!!!

I potted all these on in Spring 2013 and am now planting them out, I think I lost only three plants so it ended as 17 big healthy Helebores for £2.99 + a little compost and some patience! Now that was a bargain and good for my shady stumperie area!

• Hello New to this forum and gardening stuff. I too enjoyed the stumpery program especially the mushroom log does anyone know where I can get the pellet things from? Thank Annette 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,054

They're called dowels annette, mushroom or fungi dowels.

A search should bring up a good choice. 

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,107

Hi Annette,  pleased to meet you.

I enjoyed that programe too, wouldn't mind having a stumpery in a corner of my garden. Already have some wild ferns growing in the garden as we back onto fields. 

Sorry annette, I'm very rude. Hello, welcomeimage

• How lovely you all are THANKS so much. 

• I had no luck with my mushrooms but I think I used the wrong wood..... Loved the stumpery programme think it was my fave so far.... I'm now waiting for a tree to fall so I can snaffle the stump!!!!!

• here is a link to mushroom dowels and starter kits

• AWBAWB Posts: 400

Just taken delivery of several fern collections from Long Acre Plants.£12 for 3 ferns,very good value.also good size Daphne odora Aureomarginata at £5.00

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,819

I've just looked at that Long Acre site - lots of very helpful suggestions re shade planting - I've bookmarked it image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • I would love to make/build a stumperie as I have a rural even wild garden I think it will benefit the wild life that already visits us, my question is can you transplant established Hellbores.  How do you book mark the Long Acre site??

Hi Liz, there's a 'star' at the top right hand corner, just press that to book mark whatever you would like to keep, sometimes its called 'favourites' and that word is in the corner too 

• Thanks very much, I assume that is on the main page..... or am I being a little thick here??image

It's on the computer's tool bar Liz, not on this website

Liz. I transplanted a lot of hellebores when I redid some garden and the success rate wasn't brilliant.

Just in from the progressing,

Looking good AWBimage

• Thanks clueless the order was paced yesterday I've also been telling the girls in work and Julie is going to order some too ,so a little competition has been set up we are already thinking of recipes to use them in. You should be on commission clueless.Thanks.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,109

Great spot you have there AWB !  We are thinking of giving the mushrooms a go tooimage

Hope CB is watching this thread - the shoots of his revival are starting to show imageimage

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......

A good day, fingernails dirty, I'm tired and shall now enjoy a glass of red.