improving the lawn

Is this a good time of year, to put some of my rotting leaf mould on the grass to improve the structure and drainage.About three quarters of my lawn is shaded by a large oak tree, so it always needs a lot of work to keep it in a reasonable condition . This is the first dry sunny day in Norfolk we have had for a while, and I am really itching to get out and do something, Advice would very much be appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,425

Howdy Neighbour! - I'm in Norfolk too - isn't it good to see the sunshine? image

But I'm trying to keep off my lawn to avoid compacting it - it's very damp.  If you want to do something you could spike it all over with the garden fork - that will improve the drainage - but to be honest I'd leave well alone at this time of year.

It's time for planning and ordering seeds image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,425

I just went out into the garden to pop something on the compost heap, and spent a pleasant quarter of an hour deadheading the pots of violas and trying to make a decision about where the wildlife pond is going to be dug - it's sunny, but chillier than of late. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

artychris, my advice would be not to have a lawn there.