Forum home Talkback

indoor tomatoes: pots v growbags

This year I want to grow tomatoes in a South West facing room, near a window 6' x 4', on staging - I don't have a greenhouse..

I can turn pots round so the plants don't lean, but growbags seem to be a better medium. Which do you think will be better? 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I think growbags will be very messy indoors. You need to put drainage holes in them so you'd need a grow bag container, you can get polystyrene ones but even with those it would be a two person job turning them around, much easier with pots. Also consider if any of the plants become diseased and you have to remove them, it will be a messy job. 

I prefer my green house tomatoes growing in pots and the bigger the better. Have tried grow bags and find they dry out too quickly.

Out of interest what type did you grow ? Bush varieties I imagine. If not how did you support them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

Definitely pots and good quality compost - I would use John Innes No 2.  

However, I'm concerned that the situation you describe will not provide high enough light levels for tomatoes. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Sorry I thought you'd grow them last year. Not read your thread correctly image

Maybe you would do better with outdoor varieties in pots, so you won't need a greenhouse.

• I will try some outdoors, I have a sheltered allotment within a walled garden.

The window gets summer sun from 2pm till dusk, no shadowing at all.

Have got some large pots, John Innes No 2 it is!  Thank you!

Should I 'stop' the plants indoors at a lesser number of trusses?

• why not just try it and also plant out side just remember ventilation also you may have to pollinate my hand 

here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bueCLH3u7vM

clueless