Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting Apple Trees in Containers

Hello,

I was just wondering if any of you had any tips on planting the dwarf rootstock varieties of Apple trees in containers?

I have recently purchased the variety 'Tickled Pink M26' which states it is suitable for containers. Seeing my home is rented I would much more prefer to keep it this way so any tips on pot size, planting and upkeep would be greatly appreciated image

Thanks in advance,

• Presumably the M26 refers to the rootstock, a reasonable choice for a container. The variety is average as far as vigour is concerned so all in all it should work in a container. You are lucky to get this variety, not a lot of it around yet.

Plant in a container at least 50cm wide, 60cm would be better. Fertilise with a handful of blood fish and bone twice a year (April and July), water only when the top soil is dry, Pruning instructions should have been supplied when you bought it.

Good luck, it sounds a very unusual apple tree colourwise anyway.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,501

If it's any help it needs a pollination partner from group C - details here  http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging-trees-fruit-questions/fruit-tree-growing-guides/apple-tree-pollination 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes I am aware it needs a partner, Im just being a bit indecisive atm of what I want to get lol 

Thanks AllotmentDave for your advice image