Tough shrub for shady, windy spot

I am looking for suggestions for an evergreen shrub to go in an inhospitable location. It is a cold, shady corner formed by a west-facing wall and a north-facing wall. In addition, it is just next to the northern end of a narrow passageway between two properties and as such, is often windy.
A mature and very healthy Aucuba japonica variegata stood there until recently, but I had to remove it due to a neighbour's building work. I took cuttings, so could always do a straight replacement, but wouldn't mind ringing the changes if a suitable alternative exists.
The position is so shady that the Aucuba never showed much variegation, so presumably, similar variegated shrubs would suffer the same problem, but it would be nice to lighten the spot if possible.
Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,785

I know a Mahonia japonica which revels in just such a spot - it looks glorious at the moment and the scent is wonderful. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

I have Mahonia japonica in a similar spot and it looks great. I really hate when it is planted in full sun as they go tall, lanky and red-yellow and jus tlook awful. Mine in full shade is dark, glossy and bushy.

• mike wmike w Posts: 43

As above Mahonia is the way to go. !!!

• Thanks Verdun, Dovefromabove, blairs and mike w for your suggestions. Would Mahonia x media 'Charity' be suitable? I have one in my garden already and was planning to take some cuttings.

I don't know about the others, but I find Mahonia japonica more resilient in poor conditions than Mahonia x media - but if you're planning to take some cuttings anyway you've got nothing to lose - I'd try it image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

I've lost  tops of both my mahonias at different times. I don't know if they were wind damaged or if a big fat pigeon landed on them. Everything that stays on looks fine, however bad the weather. One is bealei. The other was cheap because it lost its label.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

I'd look at different Escallonia, very wind tolerant and some are okay in semi-shade.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,713

Fatsia Japonica would make a good feature plant with large glossy leaves which reflect light and it's fairly quick growing once it becomes established.

Devon.

In my experience Fatsia Japonica, a very handsome plant, isn't happy in cool windy spots - I've known leaves ripped and even blown off in gusty conditions.