Unwelcome rabbits

Apologies if this is a well worn topic.  I've recently installed chicken wire at the back of our garden (in an L shape under the ground too) plus a new garden gate only to find that the rabbits are still coming into our garden from our neighbours' side.  Any ideas how to keep them out apart from fencing?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

Guaranteed help here http://lovejackrussells.com/ image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Charley, when burying the chicken wire it needs to be about a foot down in a U shape with the edge pointing up in the direction of burrowing.

The rabbits need to come across the sharp edges of the chicken wire.

If they are still burrowing underneath a second layer of chicken wire a further 6 inches down will do the trick. or as dove says a terrier! 

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Ok, Verdun, the rabbits are definitely running to our neighbours' side to escape so that narrows it down a little.  Ha ha, Dave Morgan - I really like that idea.  That would be a once and for all solution.  I think I may just know where I can find a couple of jack russells image  Looks like I've got a little more fencing to arrange too.  Anything to protect all my new spring flowers image  Thanks everyone.

• Our chickens chase rabbits away, and they lay eggs!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Bit early for Easter Bunnies!

• I have never found them burrowing under my wire but I have seen them jump over it where it wasn't tall enough. image