Forum home Problem solving

covering fence panels

Help.My garden is surronded by fence and I would love to grow climbers on them.But the posts are concret and so cannot attach supports?Any ideas PLEASE x

• Antonio2Antonio2 Posts: 5

Hi Wendy, my suggestion is to wrap ckicken wire or Netlon round the post and if possible attach to the fence panels each site. This gives you quite a strong framework.

Best wishes,

Antonio

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    wendy lawton wrote (see)

Help.My garden is surronded by fence and I would love to grow climbers on them.But the posts are concret and so cannot attach supports?Any ideas PLEASE x

A word of caution-check who owns the fence-on a recent discussion it opened a whole can of worms-read this

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/fences-legal-high/4237.html

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Geoff is right, I own all the south fence and half of the west fence, the north fence is owned by my neighbour who asked me to remove the hanging pots from it. I did without argument, six months later it blew down in a storm and he asked me to go half. I will leave you to imagine my answer.
    It would be better to put in some four by four posts at intervals and run trestle or wires, this will give you the freedom to hang whatever you wish on your own posts in your own ground.

Frank.

• I too would like to disguise my fence panels. I am aware of ownership etc but would like suggestions of what to grow up wire/suppoart. One side of the garden is a small veg plot whilst the other is a (yet to be planted out) deep flower bed. I just reallly want pretty leaves and/or colour. I’m new to gardening so be gentle; not too much Latin. 

Last edited: 27 December 2017 10:13:59

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502

Which way does the fence face and what's the soil like?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It’s a tiny garden. The deep (to be planted) flower be is south facing so that would mean the existing tiny veg area is east facing. Each side has 4x6ft panels although a rotten (soon to be removed permanently) shed sits in the corner.