Forum home Plants

Peonies

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I'm thinking of digging up our Golden Rod and planting Peonies as they suit my colour scheme better. 

The golden rod are mixed up with where we have lots of bluebells in a border, so will have to wait until the bluebells have flowered.

Are Peonies hard to grow ?  i think I have one in the garden, which didn't flower last year so might move that.  They seem quite expensive, so do they spread easily or can you divide them up after a few years.  What is the most cost effective way to fill an area about 1m deep by 5m long ?

Thanks. 

• They don't like root disturbance. If you do move them you will need to ensure they are planted at the exact same depth and don't damage roots. They are not difficult to grow but like plenty of food and I find they benefit from some staking. If planted from new plants or divided they may be slow to flower but once established no trouble at all.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

We had a thread re this a while back. If I could remember what it was called it might be useful. Several people, including me, have moved them successfully. It does take quite a while to get anyhing big enough to split though. 

I  grow tree paeonies and Molly the Witch, I just let them get on with what they want to do and they do fine.

Which paeonies were you thinking of getting?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,815

Is this the thread you were thinking of Nut?  http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/peony/167394.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

No Dove, reference is made in that one to a previous thread. 

You know how we ramble and change the subject, it may not have had a hint of paeony in the thread title

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I was thinking along the lines of Sorbet or Bowl of Beauty, big full flowers, lots of pink! 

What is the difference between a Tree Peony and a non tree peony.  Showing my ignorance here ! image

A tree paeony has permanent wood, it's a shrub/tree. Bowl of beauty etc are  herbaceous paeonies and die back to nothing in winter.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,731

Unfortunately most of the tree peonies I have ever planted also die back to nothing like my herbaceous ones do.  The majority are still alive but produce only leaves.  I don't think they like it much here. image  The herbaceous ones do well however and don't seem to mind the occasional move.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Shame about the tree paeonies Bob,  they do well on neglect here.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,731

Maybe that's the trick, nut.  Certainly doesn't sound like hard work to provide them with some of that! image  The ones that do flower are in almost complete shade and were just stuck in a hole in unprepared soil when I ran out of space, so what you say does make sense!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Tree Peony

Peony inherited from Mum in Law, been transplanted 4 times had been her Fathers.