Forum home Talkback

Talkback: New year gardening resolutions

I am determined to keep on top of the seed sowing. This year I have decided to sow my seeds little earlier than I have done in the past. I have had a lot of jobs indoors to do in the last year or two, so this year I can really concentrate on the garden and I can't wait. I have just ordered some more seeds today, and I get such a buzz that I can soon get out into the garden again and get my hands into the soil.

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 479
    I am determined to keep on top of the seed sowing. This year I have decided to sow my seeds little earlier than I have done in the past. I have had a lot of jobs indoors to do in the last year or two, so this year I can really concentrate on the garden and I can't wait. I have just ordered some more seeds today, and I get such a buzz that I can soon get out into the garden again and get my hands into the soil.
  • To finally get my pond, decking and garden arbour seat put together in the back garden. Take out hedge in front garden and put picket fencing up. When I get the time, roll on spring!!
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264

To sow seeds a little later although that'll be really hard if you guys start sowing in Februaryimage I've already started looking at the distructions on seed packets as to how soon they can be sownimage

I'm also trying for an allotment this year, sent out a few e-mails yesterday, fingers crossed, would be happy even with half an allotment.   

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I'm with you Zoomer I'm always sowing my seeds at the soonest possible time on the packet regardless of common sense e.g. low light levels, bad weather etc.  I just have to tell myself I will have stockier better plants if I hold off.  My resolution is not to go at things like a bull in a china shop, to show a bit more patience and take time to enjoy the garden more.

• Looks like we're all going to have a productive time ahead.

What other resolutions do people have in store for 2014?

• Not to sow to many seeds, as I run out of room far to early, and label my plants and seeds !
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264

I'm also going to visit more gardens, Harlow Carr is the first on the list.

• i am going to keep a journal for my vegetables, i never remember when i have sown seed or planted out.

i am going to lable all plants in pots because despite thinking i will remember i never do.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I am focusing on landscaping this year. So fixing and adding to my current landscaping.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

I like t o grow as many species as I can for the wildlife and me. I've lost a few over the last few years due to neglect and weather. I must do a stock check this year and replace anything important