Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeders

Would wild birds eat chunky peanut butter it's 60p a jar from my local asda and by using an empty sweet corn as a holder it would be easy to change it old for new

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,741

I'd check the ingredients list - don't they add sugar and preservatives to it?

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,815

Think that sticky oily things are a bad idea - they get it on their bills then wipe on their feathers and that causes problems! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think you could use it so long as it's mixed with other drier ingredients.  If you Google something like "home-made wild bird food" I bet you'll find some recipes which would include peanut butter.

It's not too expensive to make bird food at home & use up left-overs such as stale bread, crackers etc which you can mix with some vegetable oil or melted suet.  It helps to have some sort of liquidizer to grind any large seeds or peanuts, and if you use suet the resulting feed will set hard so you can make it in a mould or something which you can then hang up for the birds to perch on.

If you are going to use whole seeds of any sort, it's best to microwave them for a few moments before using them in any mixture - that way any which fall on the ground won't germinate & grow into anything you might not want to have in the garden!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,942

Standard peanut butter has a lot of salt in it, which is no good for birds. I have seen a bird peanut butter(no additives) advertised, but I can't remember the name. you can make your own by liquidising  bird peanuts.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

No don't use it as it has way too much salt in it which is dangerous to birds and animals.

Fidgetbones is correct that there is a peanut butter made specifically for birds complete with a feeder that you screw the jar into and hang up.

From memory it's been developed by one of the presenters of SpringWatch (not Michaela, Chris or Martin) It's the guy who did a lot of the SpringWatch Unsprung but I can't remember his name!!

I read about it in a magazine over Christmas but I can't remember which one! I read Gardeners World, Garden Answers, BBC Wildlife and BirdWatching magazines so it will be advertised in one of these!

Sorry I'm not being much help but it's in one of those magazines!

If I still have them I'll look it out for you...

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

• Thanks for so many replays and opinions surely putting out wax balls and lard which people have done for years is similar to any oils that might be in the peanut butter. ? I don't know   The salt ? Every day I throw out at least half a loaf of bread for the birds breads full of salt. . Again I'm guessing the problem to me is the cost of wild bird food it costs a small fortune it's a source of cheap food I'm looking for at the end of the day. Anyway quite a forum you lot have here. 

Hi Buttons,

I know it can be an expensive business but unfortunately and without meaning to many people kill birds with their kindness.

I don't want to scare monger but bread is to be used very carefully. I'll explain...

In Spring parent birds will pick up pieces of bread and take them back to their nests and feed their young, all seems Ok? Well unfortunately what bread does when it gets moist is expand. Unfortunately if it expands inside the chicks stomach it basically kills them!

I know this sounds horrific and I had the misfortune of seeing this very thing happen in my fathers bird box which has a camera in. The parent Bluetit brought back pieces of white bread and fed all 10 healthy chicks. The next morning when my father put the video on all 10 chicks were dead. It was a warm night and we couldn't see any other reason why all the chicks should perish and can only imagine that the large amount of bread that we watched the parent bird feed them had done as many experts suggest?..

I apologise for a sad story like this but my advice is to not feed bread if you can feed something else instead. However if you want to as many others do please if nothing else use brown bread not white (too many additives & salt etc) but most importantly soak it in water overnight to ensure it is fully expanded and safer for the birds to eat. It might also be worth not feeding it during Spring when the chicks have hatched and there is plenty of natural food about any way.

If cost is an issue you can make your own 'fat & seed cakes' but you must use the right type of lard otherwise it clogs up the birds feathers and they can't clean them properly.

The below post on the RSPB Community Forum shows you how to do it and there is lots of other good info for feeding birds on there...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/14005/p/60176/400163.aspx#400163

The RSPB Community really is a good Informative forum for anyone interested in all wildlife and gardening for wildlife. It is also extremely friendly with many 'Old Time' members who have lots of knowledge so well worth a visit even if you don't want to make home made cakes for your garden birds!

Hope this helps and hasn't scared people too much....

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,815

Good info Higgyimage - fat and oils which do not set hard are dangerous for birds, as of course is salt .  

We should not be encouraging birds to eat processed foods which are not available in their natural environment - they are not adapted to cope with them (I'm not sure that we are either - but that's another story image)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank DFA,

Funnily I also have an allergy for bread if I eat too much or in some instances any! LOL image

Higgy