Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Slugs and snails and pussycat tails

we have got more slugs than

year than any year before

• RonRon Posts: 32

Make yourself a small pond, the frogs will eat them. image

• SFordSFord Posts: 224
    Tried nematodes for the first time a couple of years ago and am now a convert! However, still have the problem of snails which need to be dealt with by hand to shell combat!
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488
    Frogs prefer worms and will not eat large slugs. They hardly dent the slug population in my experience. Poison pellets and going out at night and killing them are the only things that I have found that works.
  • I cleared out last remaining old fallen leaves today from backs of beds / hard to reach places and there were small (baby?) slugs under virtually every other leaf. They were also hidden under heuchera leaves and primroses. Hopefully I made a dent in the population - I must have picked up 200 of the horrible things!
  • star3star3 Posts: 6

Adopt a hedgehog from your local R.S.P.C A they are always looking for people who have secure gardens for blind or injerd.

• I have enormous quantities of slugs and so I plant plants that the slugs will not affect too much. I know that I cannot hope to dent the slug population - even by encouraging blackbirds which is my prefered option. When I love a plant that is slug susceptible like asters I spend a lot of time putting crushed eggshell round them and there is an equivalent rock you can get from the garden centre. Not perfect but helps. Pots help too - but slugs can climb.

• Tanee58Tanee58 Posts: 1

I have occasionally seen a hedgehog in our garden, but not for three or four years now.  How can one encourage them to hang around?  Don't want to leave out food, as we also have urban foxes, numberless local cats and the dreaded rats!

• RonRon Posts: 32

I didn't know that frogs don't eat 'large slugs'  hopefully the frogs won't allow them to get large. I live of clay land and when I came here 30yrs ago I used to fill buckets of those 'orrible big black ones. since making two fairly large ponds I hardly ever see one. I suppose it could be coincidence or some other reason but I'm happy with my ponds.

• we ahve 3 cats...2 long hair cats. and our "old man" is always bringing things!! in on the under side of his tail!!!! We have told him to check the ground before sitting down but he desn't seem to hear us. Pauline. Pembrokeshire.
  • I agree with Ron - I get less slugs since the ponds - perhaps the birds come to drink and then stay for a snack?