Forum home Fruit & veg

Chemical weed killer near organic veg bed?

We've recently moved home and I am hoping to start an organic vegetable garden this summer. At the moment there is a lot of cleaver's (sticky weed) covering the garden. So far, I've done my best to keep removing it by hand but it's rather persistent!

Can I use a chemical weed killer in other areas of the garden that are separated from the future veg patch or would that affect the crops I grow (which will just be eaten by my family)?

If weed killer is not the answer, is the solution just to give it another big going over by hand and then a thick mulch (this will be costly as it's a large garden and I haven't made any myself as I'm just starting out).

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,201

Cleavers  produce a lot of seed, and new plants overwinter well. it is easy to pull up, best caught when small. Using weedkiller on seedlings now will kill it, but it wont stop new seeds germinating. The regular cultivation of a veg patch will keep it under control. If you have a lot of perennial weeds such as dock, I would give the lot a dose of glyphosate as a one off next year, to start with a clean bed.

Weedkiller at the moment is a waste of time.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,399

If it's just the veg garden that you want to keep organic and you are willing to use weedkiller in other parts of the garden then you can do so. Glyphosate only affects the leaves it touches. They claim it is inactivated in soil, but whether that is true or not, if you aren't using it in the veg garden it won't be in that soil anyway.

But I would do as fidgetbones says, spray once when the weather is warmer (it doesn't work properly in winter) to start clean then, as Verdun says, keep hoeing.

Dordogne and Norfolk