Major Garden Overhaul

My back garden contains old bushes and is surrounded on 3 sides by Conifers approx 8' tall, it faces due West/North onto the Bristol Channel. There is a central lawn and I have used an area approx 20' x 15' at bottom for veg growing.  The side borders consist of the old bushes and plants.  The garden is approx 38' long x 25' wide

I would like to have the whole thing re-designed and planted in cottage garden style flowers, with a veg area and some bushes (to encourage the birds), does anyone have any idea what costs would be involved and where to find help to do the project?

• There are several garden design professional bodies, such as the British Association of Landscape Industries, British Association of Garden Designers and Society of Garden Designers, and their websites all give guidance. I take it you don't want to do it yourself?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622

You can make a cottage garden as cheap or as expensive as you want.

Geoff Hamilton made two cottage gardens, to please either pocket.

You can get his DVD on amazon for £8. this has three series in, but the cottage garden one shows you some examples to go on with.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geoff-Hamilton-Collection-Anniversary-Gardeners/dp/B000R343M6

That would give you some idea to get started with. You might need a contractor to lay paths, but you can do it yourself.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The team at BBC Gardeners' World might be interested in your story. Email them on [email protected]