New Year's Day 2014 Flower Count

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

I've been out in my garden and counted everything that's flowering today - that means it's properly open, not in bud.

In my garden I have:

Hellebore orientalis 

Hellebore niger 

Pansies (several pots)

Violas (several pots)

Campanula poscharskyana (lots and lots)

Primrose (native)

Viola odorata

White campion

Herb robert

Groundsel

Winter jasmine

The Vinca major has fat buds but isn't open yet.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Not in bud image That means I have:

Hellebore orientalis ( two different ones, but can only count as one, Niger not even in bud)

Polyanthus

Dianthus ( two flowers)

Forsythia ( 3 miserable flowers)

Mahonia

Fatsia japonica if I can count the pom poms as flowers.

Scabious ( two pathetic little flowers)

More winter flowering things required for next year image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,238

You have more than me Dove.

I have:

Pansies - blue, red and yellow

Violas - several varieties in pots and in beds.

Hellebore niger, the orientalis aren't near flowering yet.

Campanula poscharskyana had some flowers on Christmas day, but they are over and it has some new buds, but not out yet.

Small purple Lamium, several flowers.

Vinca minor, 3 flowers.

A pink rose bud.

One pink flower on a penstemon - that surprised me!

2 white flowers, although rather small, on an iberis - that surprised me too.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I have :-

nastertium( yeah who knew)

viola several pots 

cyclamen

scabious( again who knew)

hellebore x2 

(do hydrangea flowers still with colour count?) 

astrantia ( white one but can't remember which)

its it's tipping it down ATM and I'm not dressed yet so not going out lmao xx happy new year

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Forgot the little pot of snowdrops on the terrace - still in bud tho'

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Just violas and primroses for me in flower. Dwarf tulips have started poking their heads through in the pots and the daff's border is showing signs of life.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021

Only looking from windows as I'm full of a horrible lurgy that my sister has kindly shared with me...image

Flowers on:

Mahonia 'Winter Sun'

Lots of violas

Polyanthus

A few dianthus in a pot (don't know variety as my sister gave me them)

Christmas Box

White cyclamen

Loads of 'berried' plants :  Pyracantha, Gaultheria procumbens and Pernettya

Buds only at the moment on the hellebore I bought last spring (a white variety called 'Bob's Best')

Considering there was virtually nothing here when I moved in, I'm quite pleased. Loads of crocus I planted are pushing through and the snowdrops my sister gave me too - so plenty to look forward to. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Erigeron karvinskianus, Aubretia deltoides, Helleborus foetidus, Pseudofumaria lutea, a white Fuchsia, a double primrose, several colours of Primula vulgaris, one Antirrhinum, Viburnum x bodnantense, Mahonia japonica, Liriope muscari, a Coreopsis, a scabious, Jasminum nudiflorum, lots of Violas, pansies, Bellis perennis and Euphorbia peplus. Snowdrops just in bud. It really cheers me up to realise what a lot is going on in our gardens already!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,238

That sounds impressive landgirl, your garden sounds a lot warmer than mine. Of course I expect Verdun to have a lot out, being in Cornwall. I'm far more south, in Dordogne, but the winters can be very cold here. But at the moment it's very wet, shouldn't really walk on the lawn.

Dordogne and Norfolk