Quick Growing Hedge

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

Long fence blown down and costly to replace

? How fast does a hedge grow please

I appreciate its a general question

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Now that is a question.

Depends on what you like and if you buy mature plants. Also how high was the fence?  If a fence has blown down beyond repair any plants will need to be tough. Does it need to be dense or just mark a boundry / or just give privacy? 

I honestly can't think of anything that will be tough enough & grow fast enough to replace a fence within 3 yrs.  Don't know about Privet, but not my choice.

Maybe Pyracantha, Escallonia.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281

I'd say about 5 years minimum for most suitable hedging shrubs to form (say) a 1.5m tall hedge and longer before it becomes "solid" or higher.  Privet would certainly take that long.

You could do it a little faster by buying mature plants as KEF says but that would likely cost you more than replacing the fence - large plants don't come cheap and you would need about 5 or 6 to replace each panel to make a hedge of any substance (ie thick enough to keep people/animals out or for privacy.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

Thanks friends........I will wait and see what the quote is for the fence

Its 40 + foot long

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,856

That's just a tiddler NewBoy2.  We had our garden gutted and only then did we realise the that chain link fence was only being held up by the plants.  140' of fence panels later..... image

• Good luck NB2. We only had a few panels blown over but will probably have to replace the whole lot as the other panels look a bit dodgy.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572
    what about Laurel you could also do your own cuttings, much cheaper and easy,weve got loads of it ,so easy to do.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Laurel does grow quickly, but don't you have to prune with secateurs? I was just thinking that in time 40+ feet will be a lot to trim by hand.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572
    We have 4 feet high by 100 feet long and 12 feet high 20 feet long ,brilliant for privacy and shears do it or as i do electric hedge cutter and it looks good and so easy.