Seed compost

Hi everyone This year I will be growing various plants from seed for the first time. I have noticed there are many seed composts, and unsure if they are just a gimmick. Should I just stick to standard multipurpose compost? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,487

The main difference is that seed compost doesn't contain much nutrient which can be bad for young seedlings.  Having said that I have used sieved MP compost mixed with sharp sand for donkeys years and have had no problems at all growing from seed. image 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,198

I always use seed compost, it is much finer than multipurpose and lets the seeds start off somewhere nice and easy for them.  i then pot on into multipurpose when they have grown a bit.  I don't think its a gimmick.

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,243

I agree, not a gimmick. I usually do a mix of seed compost, very fine grit (aquarium shop) and a bit of multipurpose.

Then some less fine gravel on top of the seeds

• FrozzFrozz Posts: 78
    Ok thanks

Is there a preferred make? I have read some negative reviews of john innes seed compost as too heavy??
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,243

John Innes isn't a make it's a type of compost. Several people make it, some badly I'm sure.

I find it a bit stiff and have broken roots when pricking out, which is why I do the mix.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 5,161

I agree with bobthegardener sieved MP with sharps sand or pearlite is just as good as and cheaper and so far have given great results 

• Not sure if it's allowed to mention another magazine, but Which? Gardening have just done a review which shows huge differences between brands. Very interesting - some just aren't worth buying.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 5,161

Doesn't  surprise me

on a positive note Lincolnshire County a Council have a scheme , that when you take garden waste to the tip , they stamp a card and after 5 stamps you get a free bag of compost and I have found it excellent . wondered if other councils do the same ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,691

The problem with council compost is that you can't tell whether it contains clippings from lawns treated with weedkiller or similar. I'm sure a lot of people put them into their brown bins.  

I've also had reports that some contains weed seeds. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • gab82gab82 Posts: 73
    Gwrs are you sure about that? I know my mum used to get that deal in Boston but they stopped it. I'm in lincoln and not heard anything about it.