Peas - Sticks - Canes - Wire Netting

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

I grew peas for the first time last season using twigs and found it was difficult to weed as the twigs obstructed the soil

A fellow Allotmenteer suggested upright wire netting so they grow up and leaves an area around to weed

? What is good to support the peas during growth

? Advice please Friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,294

Wire or plastic netting stretched between two reasonably strong poles/posts will work (the crop can be very heavy and prone to wind blowing the whole thing over.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307

Thanks Bob

? So if I am using say a  7 foot x 4 foot bed how many poles and is it a square or just a wall

Thanks

I put a post at each end of the row so make a wall.  If you attach a piece of galvanised garden wire between the top of the two posts, you can tie the netting to that every foot or so which will help to stop it sagging too much in the middle.  I generally use plastic pea/bean netting which is very cheap. image

Assumptions

Posts 3 foot high

For a 14 foot bed more posts

Sow peas inside the wall

Sorry....its a free standing wall not a rectangle of four walls

You might want to go for taller posts than 3 foot ones as many peas grow to about 4-5 feet high.  I would use 3 posts for a 14ft long row and remember to drive them in to the ground well - about 18 inches deep so take that into account when deciding the post length - 5 foot long posts would give you a 3 feet 6 inches tall 'wall'.  With peas I dig a shallow 2 inch deep trench next to the bottom of the netting and sow the seeds about 2 inches apart.  I also sow a dozen or so pots (3 seeds to a pot)  to fill any gaps where they don't germinate in the ground (or get eaten by mice etc!)

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Bob, I might be asking a silly question but why do you use net for the peas? Or have I miss read? I just stake mine with pieces of bamboo or arundo donax and tie in well. I'm in a very windy place and they are usually fine. Agree they do grow tall last year mine were 4' plus.

I don't manually weed I just hoe between them. Don't seem to get many weeds, or any that will be detrimental during pea growing time.

Hi KEF, I use netting mainly for convenience (and usually lack of enough spare sticks/canes!)  I think weeding depends on what weeds you happen to be 'infested' with - two of my beds are fairly weed free now after many years of hoeing but one has creeping buttercup which has to be hand-weeded to keep any kind of control. 'Orrible stuff!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Thanks Bob. Fastest finger first image

Gents

This is only my 3rd season as an allotmenteer so I am trying different ways to grow.all stuff

Thanks